BACK PAIN MANAGEMENT AND PHYSIOTHERAPY
Back pain, in general, is the most common type of pain affecting almost all individuals. It can be due to progression of age or with mishaps. Causes of back pain may be related to a numerous issues that may differ from person to person, age, gender, occupation etc.
The skeletal anatomy of human back is an interconnection of disks starting from the cervical region, progressing towards thoracic region and ending at the lumbar region. These cervical, thoracic and lumbar disks play an important role in regulating the spine of a person. Any disturbance to these disk and its nerves can cause simple to severe pain in the back and can even radiate into the legs as seen in sciatica.
Common causes of back pain may be due to:
Bad Postural habits:
It is important that the spine is placed in a perfect position while working, sitting or sleeping. Bad positioning of the spine may result in disk anomalies further leading to back pain. It is essential that one focuses on erect posture while sitting, and comfortable position while sleeping so that no unnecessary pressure is created on the spine.
Sedentary lifestyle Occupational stress may be an important factor that may cause back pain. Hours and hours of sitting may put pressure on the spine. We at Lifeline Physiotherapy stress the importance of taking regular interval breaks while working for long hours. It is also imperative to use ergonomic chairs while working for long hours.
Senility Another important cause for back pain is old age. With infirmity and doddery, the amount of disk slip increases with sudden activities. Make sure you do not lift heavy weights than the recommended amount.
Injury and Surgical Procedure Injury may also be a common cause of back pain. Several motor-vehicle accidents cause whiplash injury to the spine thereby causing back pains. If you are injured in an accident, call a physician to avoid any long term complications.
Pregnancy Pregnancy can increase the chances of back pain. You can call and check with your OB-GYN for a solution.
Congenital issue Some people may be born with congenital spine issues which may persist throughout their life. The active symptoms may only show after a period of time. Studies have shown that with intensive physiotherapy, a good percent of congenital issues can be solved.
Unhealthy Lifestyle PEating habits can also put pressure on the spine. It is important to take a watch on your diet, have regular exercises and keep hydrated for the best conditioning of the back
Physiotherapy Treatments for Back Pain In the past 20 years, a number of new treatment modalities in physiotherapy have been developed and initiated to reduce and eliminate back pain. With most advanced forms of physiotherapy, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and cortisone injections can only be used as secondary agents if needed.
Occupational Related Back Pain Physiotherapists can work magic for your work-related back pain. They have a variety of tools and exercises to put an end to it. These may include:
- Spinal mobilization exercises
- Soft tissue massage
- Manual traction
- McKenzie exercises etc.
Manual Therapy Most physiotherapists work manually on their patients. It’s their way of analysing and treating most of the spine related issues. Considered to be a core skill, during a manual therapy the physiotherapist uses his hands on the spine. For back pain related issues, a physio is most likely to work on:
- Lumbar range of motion: Performs a variety of range of motion exercises on their patients for assessment of pain levels on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Active range of motion: A physiotherapist can advise on the best type of lower back exercises without his assistance
- Passive range of motion: Here the physiotherapist manually performs the exercises for the desired outcome.
- Application of TENS unit: During transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, the physio uses a low voltage current to relieve the back pain.
- Other forms of physiotherapy for back pain also include several forms of massages
Lifeline Physiotherapy professionals are professionally trained in treating back pain and related ailments.
- Post-Operative Care
- So, you have just had surgery and are unsure what is to be done next. It is definitely the right time for you to call us and seek information. Surgery is just the first step and we will follow through by ensuring you regain normal function.Our physiotherapists are trained in giving you the right treatment for you to achieve full recovery post-surgery.
- Corporate Health
- Sitting is the new smoking. Sitting for more than a couple of hours a day can affect your posture, mood, lifestyle and health.We at lifeline Physiotherapy will give you a thorough insight of how to setup your desk i.e.: ergonomic setup. We can recommend either a stand-up desk or other options for your employer to assist you with.
- Gym Rehabilitation Programs
- Exercises are commonly used to address nerve, joint, muscle or ligament issues and we are experts at this. We have the right knowledge to assist with the biomechanics of your body and give you appropriate exercises for injury prevention.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Whiplash Associated Disorders commonly take place following a motor vehicle crash. This occurs due to the sudden forces of acceleration and deceleration being placed on the spine.Lifeline Physiotherapy understand the repercussions following such an injury and encourages you to come see us to protect further symptoms. We are well aware of the management and treatment required and will go the extra mile to assist you with recovery.
- Dry Needling
- Often you will find that massage doesn't cut it and minutes later you are tight or stiff again. Dry needling is a good option to release tight trigger points, increase blood flow into the area promoting healing.Dry needling can be used to increase muscle length and function, ease pain and reduce swelling
- Pilates incorporates low impact exercises for all ages and levels of fitness. It is used to strengthen the core and stabilize the spine. These exercises are gentle and focus on spinal articulation, breathing and stability.
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Our physiotherapists have extensive knowledge on injuries that can arise while playing sport. Our practice principal has been involved in many sporting clubs such as Ingelwood uniter and Balcatta Soccer Club. Athletes and those who love to be active put extreme demand and stress on their bodies, in particular their muscles and joints and sports physiotherapy can help deal with pain, improve performance and function and prevent future damage and injuries.Sports physiotherapy may include a customised gym rehabilitation program, hands-on treatment, taping and exercise and stretch prescription.
- Geriatric Care
- At Lifeline physiotherapy, we provide specialized treatments for seniors as we understand what a toll it can take on you with joint replacements, or having to deal with osteoporosis or osteoarthritis.The aim for geriatric care it to address your needs whether it be improving your sleep or mobility to reducing your pain and discomfort. We understand ailments you can have as you age and are passionate about helping you with them.