We all know water as a universal solvent. But have we ever reaped its benefits through therapies. Hydrotherapy is one such cure which helps in treating multiple ailments using water and physiotherapists at Lifeline Physiotherapy are specialized in hydrotherapy or therapy by water.
Hydrotherapy uses water both internally and externally at varying temperatures to treat patients. It has evolved starting from ancient times, and today we use technically sophisticated equipment for treatment.
DMany people do not sweat due to use of toilet soaps and perfumes and this causes pores to get clogged which in turn may lead to dysfunction of the sweat glands. During a sauna bath, a stream of dry hot air is passed into the room or a cabin. This causes a person to sweat thereby aiding in diaphoresis. During sweating mechanism, the sweat pores open and emit toxic salts. This type of therapy also helps in smooth blood flow in the vessels.
Primarily used for treatment of haemorrhoids, commonly called as piles. This type of therapy involves placing buttocks in warm water so that the water comes in contact with the haemorrhoidal area. There are many forms of tubs that help in performing this activity. The water should not be too hot to cause any burns. Stay for 15 minutes and then towel yourself out. This has a soothing effect. This mechanism includes free flow of blood in the blood vessels.
The doctor also advises on regular intake of water for haemorrhoids which is also an important factor in curing piles.
Warm Compresses: If you are going through a joint stiffness or a muscle spasm then this is one form of hydrotherapy that can be used. By soaking a towel in warm water and applying it on, the affected area can decrease the muscle spasm or joint stiffness.
If you are going through tendonitis i.e. musculoskeletal pain or bursitis, this form of hydrotherapy may help you. By applying cold compresses, patient usually gets good relief in the sore areas. Cold compresses work by numbing down the affected area. It also reduces swelling, bleeding and inflammation. Cold compresses can be applied by soaking towel in ice water or filling water in a sealable bag and placing it in the freezer for 15 minutes. This method is also conventional method for treating sore joints.
This is caused by nerve damages in the feet: Burning feet is a common cause in diabetic patients. To have relief, place your legs in cool water 15 minutes. Get out of water, gently pat soaked area of the feet with dry towel.
Another form of hydrotherapy where jets of water keep streaming into the body. It is a kind of whole body pain and stress reliever. This type of massage benefits for patients with arthritis i.e. joint pain and fibromyalgia i.e. muscle pain.
Before performing hydrotherapy, it is important to take a consultation with your physician, especially if you are suffering from any form of cardiovascular conditions, fever, common cold, or any increased or decreased sensitivity to heat or cold.
- Post-Operative Care
- So, you have just had surgery and are unsure what is to be done next. It is definitely the right time for you to call us and seek information. Surgery is just the first step and we will follow through by ensuring you regain normal function.Our physiotherapists are trained in giving you the right treatment for you to achieve full recovery post-surgery.
- Corporate Health
- Sitting is the new smoking. Sitting for more than a couple of hours a day can affect your posture, mood, lifestyle and health.We at lifeline Physiotherapy will give you a thorough insight of how to setup your desk i.e.: ergonomic setup. We can recommend either a stand-up desk or other options for your employer to assist you with.
- Gym Rehabilitation Programs
- Exercises are commonly used to address nerve, joint, muscle or ligament issues and we are experts at this. We have the right knowledge to assist with the biomechanics of your body and give you appropriate exercises for injury prevention.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Whiplash Associated Disorders commonly take place following a motor vehicle crash. This occurs due to the sudden forces of acceleration and deceleration being placed on the spine.Lifeline Physiotherapy understand the repercussions following such an injury and encourages you to come see us to protect further symptoms. We are well aware of the management and treatment required and will go the extra mile to assist you with recovery.
- Dry Needling
- Often you will find that massage doesn't cut it and minutes later you are tight or stiff again. Dry needling is a good option to release tight trigger points, increase blood flow into the area promoting healing.Dry needling can be used to increase muscle length and function, ease pain and reduce swelling
- Pilates incorporates low impact exercises for all ages and levels of fitness. It is used to strengthen the core and stabilize the spine. These exercises are gentle and focus on spinal articulation, breathing and stability.
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Our physiotherapists have extensive knowledge on injuries that can arise while playing sport. Our practice principal has been involved in many sporting clubs such as Ingelwood uniter and Balcatta Soccer Club. Athletes and those who love to be active put extreme demand and stress on their bodies, in particular their muscles and joints and sports physiotherapy can help deal with pain, improve performance and function and prevent future damage and injuries.Sports physiotherapy may include a customised gym rehabilitation program, hands-on treatment, taping and exercise and stretch prescription.
- Geriatric Care
- At Lifeline physiotherapy, we provide specialized treatments for seniors as we understand what a toll it can take on you with joint replacements, or having to deal with osteoporosis or osteoarthritis.The aim for geriatric care it to address your needs whether it be improving your sleep or mobility to reducing your pain and discomfort. We understand ailments you can have as you age and are passionate about helping you with them.